The Spirit of Giving: The F.B. Coales No.4 (Family) Trust
Over the last 12 months, the F.B. Coales No.4 (Family) Trust has donated over £272,000 to 106 charities; but this is not just a recent endeavour. The Winn & Coales International Ltd. (WCI) group of companies have been donating to charitable organisations for many years – the roots of which can be traced back to a notable figure in our history…
Who is F.B. Coales?
Frank B. Coales was the second Chairman of the company known today as Winn & Coales International Ltd. Paul Winn – the first Chairman and the company’s founder – appointed Frank Coales as his partner in 1933 and gave their names to the company which has continued to grow and prosper.
What is the F.B. Coales No.4 (Family) Trust?
The Trust was set up many years ago by the late Frank Coales as a way of giving back to communities in the vicinity of the company’s head office. As a prominent local employer in West Norwood, Frank Coales wanted to reward and support the many people (and their families) in the local area who had helped the company to develop and thrive.
Who has benefited from the Trust’s donations?
The Trust contributes to fundraising efforts and good causes throughout the UK, with a particular focus on Southeast London and Kent. Some recent recipients include:
- Bromley Brighter Beginnings who provide essential everyday items for babies and children in Bromley. The Trust donated towards their Christmas Hamper appeal in 2022 which helped to provide 241 families and 611 children with food and gifts for Christmas Day.
- Lifelites provide assistive technology packages for children with life-limiting conditions. A donation from the Trust purchased two Soundbeams for the Children’s Trust in Tadworth, Surrey.
- In 2022, a donation was made to Crackerjacks Children’s Trust for the purchase of a Tomcat Trike. Tomcat manufacture custom-built trikes designed to meet the specific mobility needs of its owner. The Trust has supported the Crackerjacks community on numerous occasions and have since donated toward the purchase of another trike in 2023.
- The Elizabeth Foundation provide a wide range of educational services for babies and preschool children with all degrees of deafness. The Trust were delighted to support the great work they do and made a donation in February of this year.
- In 2022, a £35,000 donation was made to the DEC’s Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal. In light of the continued war in Ukraine, in 2023 a further donation of £35,000 was made to help with ongoing support to those affected or displaced by the conflict.
What does the future hold for the Trust?
With the continued success of the company, as demonstrated by WCI achieving 140 years’ service to industry this year, there comes a firm and ongoing commitment to honouring the work started by Frank Coales decades ago.
Today, the Trust has three trustees and is a registered charity (no. 1179856) that continues to work with colleagues from across the WCI group of companies to identify worthy causes where a donation from the F.B. Coales No.4 (Family) Trust will make a positive impact on people’s lives.